sobota, 3 września 2011

Verb endings

The main form of the verb is called infinitive. In Polish infinitive ends on –ć, rarely –c, i.e.: czytać – to read, pisać – to write - you cannot tell who does it.
In English you simply add subject before verb: I read, you read, she reads…
In Polish subject is hidden in the verb’s ending: (ja) czytam, (ty) czytasz, (on) czyta. Therefore you have to remember endings assigned to each person.
There are three* patterns of conjugation (verb ending changes) which differ in the endings of 1st and 2nd persons singular. Remember, vowel in the 2nd person’s ending will appear in 3rd person singular and 1st and 2nd persons plural.
I – i.e. pisać
(-ę, -esz)
II – i.e. myśleć
(-ę, -isz/-ysz)
III – i.e. czytać, rozumieć
(-am, -asz) or (-em, - esz)
ja piszę
ja myślę
ja czytam, rozumiem
ty piszesz
ty myślisz
ty czytasz, rozumiesz
on/ona/ono pisze
on/ona/ono myśli
on czyta, rozumie
my piszemy
my myślimy
my czytamy, rozumiemy
wy piszecie
wy myślicie
wy czytacie, rozumiecie
oni/one piszą
oni/one myślą
oni czytają, rozumieją

 You might be wondering what 'j' does in the 3rd person plural sometimes. Just remember, in Polish there is no such a thing like aą, eą or oą so we put 'j' between them.
So once again, endings as simple as possible:
czytać – to read
person
stem
vowel
ending
explanations
ja
czyt
a
m

ty
czyt
a
sz

on/ona/ono
czyt
a
-

my
czyt
a
my

wy
czyt
a
cie

oni/one
czyt
a
 add ‘j’ to separate ‘a’ and ‘ą’
chodzić - to go
 person
 stem
 vowel
 ending
 explanations
 ja
 chodz

 ę

 ty
 chodz
 i
 sz
 vowel in 2nd person appears
 on/ona/ono
 chodz
 i
 -
 here
 my
 chodz
 i
 my
 here
 wy
 chodz
 i
 cie
 and here
 oni/one
 chodz

 ą


*There are various classifications of conjugation patterns. I know it but you don't have to unless you love linguistics...

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz